Rochester, Illinois is located in Sangamon County and has a population of around 3,000. The city sits on the Sangamon River, which is a major feature of the landscape. The climate in Rochester is temperate, with four distinct seasons and an average temperature of around 48 degrees Fahrenheit. It experiences light snowfall during the winter months and occasional heavy rains throughout the year.
Rochester’s history dates back to 1819 when it was founded by Dr. William Millar. It was originally named “Millarsville” after its founder but was later renamed Rochester in 1836 after the town of Rochester, New York. The city experienced considerable growth during the 19th century due to its convenient location along the river and its proximity to Springfield, Illinois’ capital city.
Today, Rochester is a vibrant small town with a mix of traditional and modern political values. The city council is made up of seven members who are elected at-large by local voters every four years. The economy in Rochester relies heavily on agriculture as well as local businesses such as manufacturing and retail stores.
Rochester also has several schools that serve students from kindergarten through 12th grade including Rochester High School which provides students with an array of educational opportunities such as Advanced Placement classes, extracurricular activities, college prep courses, and more.
Finally, there are several landmarks that make up part of Rochester’s distinct character including Millar Park which is dedicated to Dr William Millar; White Oaks Mansion which was built in 1930; and Oak Hill Cemetery where many Civil War veterans are buried among other notable figures from history.
Population: 2,893. Estimated population in July 2020: 3,004 (+3.8% change)
Males: 1,402 (48.5%), Females: 1,491 (51.5%)
Zip code: 62563
Median resident age: 40.3 years
Median household income: $62,891
Median house value: $115,300
Races in Rochester:
- White Non-Hispanic (98.0%)
- Hispanic (0.7%)
- Two or more races (0.5%)
Ancestries: German (33.5%), English (17.3%), Irish (17.2%), Italian (7.4%), Scottish (3.8%), Swedish (3.3%).
Land area: 2.1 square miles
Rochester is a small city located in the state of Illinois. It has a population of approximately 4,000 people according to the 2020 census. The median household income is around $50,000, and the cost of living is slightly lower than the national average. The city has a variety of housing options that range from affordable single-family homes to luxury apartments and condos. Renting an apartment in Rochester can cost anywhere from $500-$1,200 per month depending on size and location. Utilities are fairly inexpensive with basic services like electricity, water and internet averaging around $100 per month. Property taxes are relatively low compared to other parts of Illinois.
The city offers plenty of recreational activities for residents to enjoy including parks, trails and lakes for fishing or boating. There are also several museums and historic sites for those interested in learning more about Rochester’s history. Shopping opportunities abound with several small businesses as well as larger chain stores located near downtown Rochester. The city also hosts numerous events throughout the year including farmer’s markets, festivals and concerts which help bring people together in the community. Overall, Rochester is a great place to live offering affordable housing options with plenty of things to do in your free time!
For population 25 years and over in Rochester
- High school or higher: 92.9%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 44.3%
- Graduate or professional degree: 16.2%
- Unemployed: 3.8%
- Mean travel time to work: 18.9 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Rochester village
- Never married: 20.3%
- Now married: 66.4%
- Separated: 0.8%
- Widowed: 4.8%
- Divorced: 7.8%
0.7% Foreign born
Population change in the 1990s: +98 (+3.5%).
Hospitals/medical centers near Rochester:
- DOCTORS HOSPITAL (about 5 miles; SPRINGFIELD, IL)
- MEMORIAL MEDICAL CENTER (about 5 miles; SPRINGFIELD, IL)
- ANDREW MCFARLAND MENTAL HLTH CTR (about 7 miles; SPRINGFIELD, IL)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Rochester:
- CAPITAL (about 11 miles; SPRINGFIELD, IL; Abbreviation: SPI)
- DECATUR (about 49 miles; DECATUR, IL; Abbreviation: DEC)
- GREATER PEORIA REGIONAL (about 63 miles; PEORIA, IL; Abbreviation: PIA)
Other public-use airports nearest to Rochester:
- TAYLORVILLE MUNI (about 22 miles; TAYLORVILLE, IL; Abbreviation: TAZ)
- LOGAN COUNTY (about 31 miles; LINCOLN, IL; Abbreviation: AAA)
- ZELMER MEMORIAL AIRPARK INC (about 39 miles; PALMYRA, IL; Abbreviation: 5K1)
Amtrak station near Rochester:
- 9 miles: SPRINGFIELD (WASHINGTON & 3RD STS.). Services: ticket office, fully wheelchair accessible, enclosed waiting area, public restrooms, public payphones, vending machines, free short-term parking, free long-term parking, call for car rental service, taxi stand, public transit connection.
Colleges and Universities
Note: See jibin123 for a list of Illinois graduate schools.
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Rochester:
- LINCOLN LAND COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 5 miles; SPRINGFIELD, IL; Full-time enrollment: 3,756)
- UNIVERSITY OF ILLINOIS AT SPRINGFIELD (about 5 miles; Springfield, IL; Full-time enrollment: 2,357)
- MILLIKIN UNIVERSITY (about 38 miles; DECATUR, IL; Full-time enrollment: 2,274)
- ILLINOIS STATE UNIVERSITY (about 65 miles; NORMAL, IL; Full-time enrollment: 18,785)
- HEARTLAND COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 66 miles; Normal, IL; Full-time enrollment: 2,390)
- BRADLEY UNIVERSITY (about 66 miles; PEORIA, IL; Full-time enrollment: 5,262)
- ILLINOIS CENTRAL COLLEGE (about 70 miles; EAST PEORIA, IL; Full-time enrollment: 6,404)
Public high school in Rochester:
- ROCHESTER HIGH SCHOOL (Students: 589; Location: 1 ROCKET DR; Grades: 09 – 12)
Public primary/middle schools in Rochester:
- ROCHESTER ELEM SCHOOL (Students: 574; Location: 707 W MAIN; Grades: PK – 03)
- ROCHESTER MIDDLE SCHOOL (Students: 448; Location: 456 EDUCATION AVE; Grades: 04 – 06)
- ROCHESTER JR HIGH SCHOOL (Students: 301; Location: 3 ROCKET DR; Grades: 07 – 08)
Library in Rochester:
- ROCHESTER P.L.D. (Operating income: $164,203; Location: #1 COMMUNITY DRIVE; 25,715 books; 669 audio materials; 469 video materials; 79 serial subscriptions)