According to Intershippingrates.com, Premont, Texas is a small city located in Jim Wells County. The town is situated on the banks of the Nueces River, which runs through it and provides a great source of recreation for locals. Geographically speaking, Premont is located in South Texas, where the land is mostly flat and there are few hills or mountains. The climate is typically hot and humid during the summer months, but winters are mild with little precipitation.
The history of Premont dates back to 1884 when it was founded as a stop on the San Antonio-Corpus Christi stage line. In 1929, Premont was officially incorporated as a city and has grown steadily ever since. Politically speaking, it is part of Jim Wells county and votes mainly Republican in elections.
Economically speaking, Premont’s economy has traditionally been based on agriculture and ranching; however, recently there has been an increase in oil production in the area that has provided additional employment opportunities for residents. Schools in Premont include two elementary schools (grades K-5), one middle school (grades 6-8), one high school (grades 9-12), and one college (South Texas Community College).
As far as landmarks go, some of the most popular attractions include the Nueces River Bridge which opened back in 1930; the historic Santa Gertrudis Church which was built back in 1890; Monument Park which features monuments honoring veterans from all branches of service; and finally there’s also a small museum that houses artifacts from early settlers to Premont.
Population: 2,772. Estimated population in July 2020: 2,836 (+2.3% change)
Males: 1,371 (49.5%), Females: 1,401 (50.5%)
Jim Wells County
Zip code: 78375
Median resident age: 35.0 years
Median household income: $22,022
Median house value: $27,900
Races in Premont:
- Hispanic (84.1%)
- Other race (20.9%)
- White Non-Hispanic (14.8%)
- Two or more races (1.6%)
- American Indian (0.6%)
- Black (0.5%)
(Total can be greater than 100% because Hispanics could be counted in other races)
Ancestries: United States (3.3%), German (2.8%), Irish (1.6%), English (1.1%).
Land area: 1.7 square miles
Premont, Texas is a small town located in Jim Wells County. As of the 2010 census, the population was estimated to be 3,523 people. The majority of the population living in Premont is of Hispanic or Latino descent, making up 79% of the total population. The median age for residents is 27 years old and the median household income for households in Premont was $21,813 in 2010. The poverty rate for Premont’s residents was 34.4%, significantly higher than both state and national averages.
The majority of employment opportunities in Premont are within agriculture which makes up a large portion of its economy. Other industries that contribute to its economy include retail trade, construction and manufacturing. Education is also important to the city with both elementary and middle schools located within city limits as well as a vocational school offering career-oriented classes such as welding and cosmetology. Additionally, there are several churches located throughout the city providing religious services to its citizens as well as various community activities such as sports leagues and summer programs for kids.
For population 25 years and over in Premont
- High school or higher: 59.5%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 10.7%
- Graduate or professional degree: 3.6%
- Unemployed: 9.0%
- Mean travel time to work: 25.0 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Premont city
- Never married: 23.7%
- Now married: 55.1%
- Separated: 2.5%
- Widowed: 9.4%
- Divorced: 9.3%
3.5% Foreign born (3.2% Latin America).
Population change in the 1990s: -143 (-4.9%).
Hospitals/medical centers near Premont:
- CHRISTUS SPOHN HOSPITAL KLEBERG (about 21 miles; KINGSVILLE, TX)
- ALICE REGIONAL HOSPITAL (about 27 miles; ALICE, TX)
- CHRISTUS SPOHN HOSPITAL ALICE (about 27 miles; ALICE, TX)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Premont:
- CORPUS CHRISTI INTL (about 52 miles; CORPUS CHRISTI, TX; Abbreviation: CRP)
- MC ALLEN MILLER INTL (about 83 miles; MC ALLEN, TX; Abbreviation: MFE)
- VALLEY INTL (about 86 miles; HARLINGEN, TX; Abbreviation: HRL)
Other public-use airports nearest to Premont:
- BROOKS COUNTY (about 11 miles; FALFURRIAS, TX; Abbreviation: BKS)
- KLEBERG COUNTY (about 16 miles; KINGSVILLE, TX; Abbreviation: IKG)
- KINGSVILLE NAS (about 25 miles; KINGSVILLE, TX; Abbreviation: NQI)
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Premont:
- TEXAS A & M UNIVERSITY-KINGSVILLE (about 21 miles; KINGSVILLE, TX; Full-time enrollment: 4,860)
- DEL MAR COLLEGE (about 58 miles; CORPUS CHRISTI, TX; Full-time enrollment: 5,454)
- TEXAS A & M UNIVERSITY-CORPUS CHRISTI (about 59 miles; Corpus Christi, TX; Full-time enrollment: 5,282)
- THE UNIVERSITY OF TEXAS-PAN AMERICAN (about 70 miles; EDINBURG, TX; Full-time enrollment: 9,651)
- COASTAL BEND COLLEGE (about 78 miles; BEEVILLE, TX; Full-time enrollment: 2,150)
- SOUTH TEXAS COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 80 miles; MCALLEN, TX; Full-time enrollment: 7,142)
- TEXAS STATE TECHNICAL COLLEGE-HARLINGEN (about 85 miles; HARLINGEN, TX; Full-time enrollment: 2,167)
Public high school in Premont:
- PREMONT H S (Students: 351; Location: 400 S ELAINE ST; Grades: 09 – 12)
Public primary/middle schools in Premont:
- PREMONT CENTRAL EL (Students: 300; Location: 439 S W 4TH; Grades: PK – 04)
- PREMONT J H (Students: 289; Location: 439 S W 4TH; Grades: 05 – 08)