According to CAMPINGSHIP, Live Oak, Florida is a small city located in Suwannee County. It is situated on the banks of the Suwannee River and is known for its lush green landscape. The city has a humid subtropical climate with hot and humid summers and mild winters. It also experiences occasional thunderstorms and tropical storms during the summer months.
The history of Live Oak dates back to the mid-1800s when it was first settled by Native Americans, followed by European settlers in the 1850s. The city was officially incorporated in 1885, with a population of around 200 people.
Live Oak is governed by a Mayor-Council form of government, with an elected mayor and five council members who serve four-year terms. The city has a strong economy based on agriculture and timber production, as well as being home to several educational institutions including two public high schools and one college.
In addition to its economic activities, Live Oak is home to several landmarks such as the Suwannee County Courthouse which was built in 1902, the historic Hotel Douglass which dates back to 1891, and Big Oak Tree Park which features live oaks that are over 500 years old! There are also several museums located in the city including the Suwannee County Historical Museum and Stephen Foster Folk Culture Center State Park which celebrates Florida’s musical heritage.
Population: 6,480. Estimated population in July 2020: 6,922 (+6.8% change)
Males: 3,127 (48.3%), Females: 3,353 (51.7%)
Zip codes: 32060.
Median resident age: 36.2 years
Median household income: $24,380
Median house value: $52,200
Races in Live Oak:
- White Non-Hispanic (52.2%)
- Black (37.7%)
- Hispanic (8.6%)
- Other race (1.8%)
- Two or more races (1.2%)
- American Indian (0.6%)
(Total can be greater than 100% because Hispanics could be counted in other races)
Ancestries: United States (14.2%), Irish (5.5%), English (5.2%), German (3.3%), Subsaharan African (1.4%), French (1.4%).
Land area: 7.0 square miles
Live Oak, Florida is a small city located in the center of Suwannee County. As of the 2020 census, the population is estimated to be 6,976 people. This number has grown steadily over the past decade as Live Oak has become a popular destination for retirees and families looking for a quiet, rural lifestyle. The city is home to many diverse cultures and backgrounds, including African American, Hispanic, and Caucasian citizens. The majority of Live Oak’s population is made up of those aged 45-64 years old. This group makes up nearly half of the total population at 48%. Those aged 25-44 years old make up 26%, while those under 18 make up 19%. The remaining 7% are 65 years and older.
Live Oak also features a strong local economy with many businesses and industries that provide jobs to residents. The largest industry in Live Oak is healthcare with over 1,600 employees working in various medical facilities throughout the city. Other major industries include construction services, retail trade, finance & insurance services and transportation & warehousing services. With its strong economy and diverse culture, Live Oak offers its residents an excellent quality of life with plenty of opportunity for growth and development.
For population 25 years and over in Live Oak
- High school or higher: 69.3%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 12.2%
- Graduate or professional degree: 3.4%
- Unemployed: 10.5%
- Mean travel time to work: 19.5 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Live Oak city
- Never married: 23.7%
- Now married: 50.7%
- Separated: 3.4%
- Widowed: 9.6%
- Divorced: 12.7%
6.9% Foreign born (5.5% Latin America, 1.1% Asia).
Population change in the 1990s: -9 (-0.1%).
Hospital/medical center in Live Oak:
- SHANDS AT LIVE OAK (1100 SW 11TH ST)
Other hospitals/medical centers near Live Oak:
- TRINITY COMMUNITY HOSPITAL (about 14 miles; JASPER, FL)
- LAKE CITY MEDICAL CENTER (about 25 miles; LAKE CITY, FL)
- SHANDS AT LAKE SHORE (about 25 miles; LAKE CITY, FL)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Live Oak:
- VALDOSTA RGNL (about 38 miles; VALDOSTA, GA; Abbreviation: VLD)
- MOODY AFB (about 49 miles; VALDOSTA, GA; Abbreviation: VAD)
- GAINESVILLE RGNL (about 66 miles; GAINESVILLE, FL; Abbreviation: GNV)
Other public-use airports nearest to Live Oak:
- SUWANNEE COUNTY (about 3 miles; LIVE OAK, FL; Abbreviation: 24J)
- LAKE CITY MUNI (about 31 miles; LAKE CITY, FL; Abbreviation: LCQ)
- PERRY-FOLEY (about 44 miles; PERRY, FL; Abbreviation: 40J)
Colleges and Universities
College/University in Live Oak:
- SUWANNEE-HAMILTON TECHNICAL CENTER (Full-time enrollment: 63; Location: 415 SW PINEWOOD DR; Public)
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Live Oak:
- VALDOSTA STATE UNIVERSITY (about 44 miles; VALDOSTA, GA; Full-time enrollment: 7,157)
- SANTA FE COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 58 miles; GAINESVILLE, FL; Full-time enrollment: 7,942)
- UNIVERSITY OF FLORIDA (about 61 miles; GAINESVILLE, FL; Full-time enrollment: 41,543)
- FLORIDA AGRICULTURAL AND MECHANICAL UNIVERSITY (about 91 miles; TALLAHASSEE, FL; Full-time enrollment: 10,991)
- FLORIDA STATE UNIVERSITY (about 92 miles; TALLAHASSEE, FL; Full-time enrollment: 29,949)
- FLORIDA COMMUNITY COLLEGE AT JACKSONVILLE (about 93 miles; JACKSONVILLE, FL; Full-time enrollment: 10,495)
- TALLAHASSEE COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 94 miles; TALLAHASSEE, FL; Full-time enrollment: 7,016)
Public high school in Live Oak:
- SUWANNEE HIGH SCHOOL (Students: 1,237; Location: 1314 PINE AVENUE, SW; Grades: 09 – 12)
Private high schools in Live Oak:
- MELODY CHRISTIAN ACADEMY (Students: 96; Location: PO BOX 1448; Grades: KG – 12)
- TABERNACLE BAPTIST SCHOOLS (Students: 38; Location: PO BOX 95; Grades: KG – 12)
Public primary/middle schools in Live Oak:
- SUWANNEE MIDDLE SCHOOL (Students: 1,075; Location: 1730 WALKER AVENUE, SW; Grades: 06 – 08)
- SUWANNEE ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 1,011; Location: 1419 WALKER AVENUE, SW; Grades: 03 – 05)
- SUWANNEE PRIMARY SCHOOL (Students: 1,004; Location: 1625 WALKER AVENUE, SW; Grades: KG – 02)
- DOUGLASS CENTER (Students: 171; Location: 617 ONTARIO AVENUE, SW; Grades: PK – 12)
- COUNTY SUPERINTENDENT’S OFFICE (Students: 52; Location: 702 SECOND STREET, NW; Grades: PK – 12)
- SUWANNEE-HAMILTON TECH CENTER (Location: 415 PINEWOOD DRIVE, SW; Grades: N – N )
Private primary/middle school in Live Oak:
- WESTWOOD CHRISTIAN SCHOOL (Students: 207; Location: 920 S.W. 11TH STREET; Grades: PK – 8)
Library in Live Oak:
- SUWANNEE RIVER REGIONAL LIBRARY SYSTEM (Operating income: $1,488,490; Location: 1848 OHIO AVENUE SOUTH; 148,675 books; 5,130 audio materials; 10,109 video materials; 472 serial subscriptions)