Israel Overview

Israel Overview

According to recipesinthebox, Israel is a state in the Middle East with just over 8 million residents. The majority of the population is Jews, but Muslims, Christians and more also live in the country. The Israeli trade union movement does not like to take conflicts with the state apparatus, mainly as a result of tensions in the Middle East. The union leaders are appointed through internal political elections.

Country Facts

State condition: Republic

Surface: 20,770 km2

Capital: Jerusalem

Language: Hebrew is the official language, in addition Arabic is spoken and more

Labor market and economy:

Israel has a mixed economy with both state, cooperative and private companies. Economically, Israel has significantly greater similarities with states in Western Europe and North America than with other states in Asia. The Israeli business community is technologically advanced, at the same time the country is strongly dependent on importing raw materials from other countries. Just under 30 percent of the workforce consists of industrial workers, construction workers and farmers. The remaining 70 percent is found in health, care, education, service and defense.


Histadrut (“association”) is the completely dominant trade union movement in Israel. It was formed in what was then Palestine in 1920. The purpose was twofold, partly traditionally unionist, partly to strengthen Zionism. Histadrut has played a major role in shaping the state of Israel and has a strong loyalty to the Israeli state. The unions within Histadrut are responsible for issues concerning the members’ insurance funds, health care, holidays, childcare, leisure, etc. Histadrut is governed by a parliamentary structure. The organization’s board is appointed by party election within the organization. Histadrut is also one of the country’s largest employers. The organization owns, among other things, the country’s largest public healthcare system, Kupat Holim, the bank Bank HaPoalim, the industrial group Koor and the construction company Solel Boneb.

Histadrut currently reports that the organization has around 450,000 members, which indicates a certain decline. One reason is a number of anti-union laws that have been passed in the country over the past decade, among other things, the union no longer has the same influence over the unemployment insurance fund.


Histadrut is a member of the World Trade Union ITUC.

Population and Religion

Israel has 9.1 million residents (2019). This roughly corresponds to the number of residents in Austria. The Jews make up around three quarters of the population of Israel, almost 20% are Arabs. Since the end of the 19th century, many Jews immigrated to Palestine in order to found their own Jewish state there. The immigrants initially came from Central and Eastern Europe; they are called Ashkenazim. After the founding of the state of Israel (1948), many Jews came from Islamic countries; they are called Sephardim. Since 1970, and increasingly since 1989/90, there has been a wave of immigration from the Soviet Union. The Jews born in the land are called Sabra.

About 1.6 million Arabs, the Palestinians, live in Israel. Most of the Palestinians are Sunni Muslims, around 150,000 are Christians. About 140,000 Arabs are Druze. Their religion shows similarities with Islam. But you have no conflicts with the Jews. Hebrew has been Israel’s only official language since 2018. The Hebrew script is written from right to left. Arabic only has a special status. It is the language of instruction in schools in the Arab settlement areas. In addition, most of the official forms and the street signs are bilingual, i.e. in Hebrew and Arabic.

Israel has a cosmopolitan modern society and is very open to scientific innovations. Everyday life with the rules on marriages, births and deaths is determined by Judaism. Israel is a country with a highly developed economy and low unemployment. However, there are big differences in income. Almost a quarter of the population is poor and has less than US $ 7.30 a day to spend. The Palestinians and the devout, ultra-orthodox Jews, who often have many children, are particularly hard hit. The men are not employed, but pray all day and study the Torah. Ultra-Orthodox Jews refuse to do military service.

The life of Palestinian Arabs and Jews in a state is very problematic. Both groups live in strictly separated settlement areas. There are no friendships or even marriages between Palestinians and Jews.

Israel, officially Hebrew Medinat Jisrael, German State of Israel, state in the Middle East with (2019) 9.1 million residents; The capital is Jerusalem.

Israel Overview